Capable, Focused Assistance with Complex Disputes
If you engage in commerce, you will almost certainly benefit from legal assistance. We regularly handle a variety of matters including, but not limited to:
- Unfair Practices and Trade Regulation Violations
- Banking and Creditor Issues, Including Lender Liability
- Breach of Contract
- Breach of Warranty
- Business Torts
- Construction Law
- Environmental Law
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property, Including Copyright and Trademark Infringement
- Partnership and Shareholder Disputes
- Executive Compensation
- Tortious Interference with Contract/Business Advantage
You can rely on our knowledge and experience as we work to resolve your business disputes. We aggressively prosecute or defend a case by preparing for trial, while maintaining open lines of communication as to settlement.
Recovery from breach of contract
When a party to a contract fails to perform as agreed, the breach can extend beyond inconvenience, causing you disruption and costing you future profits. There are a variety of legal remedies that may provide you with monetary damages or equitable relief, such as:
- Compensatory damages – Reimbursement for immediate monetary loss
- Consequential and incidental damages – Compensation for additional foreseeable losses caused by the breach
- Attorney fees and costs – If available by contract or statute
- Liquidated damages – Amounts specified in the contract that are payable for particular breaches, such as late or substandard performance
- Specific performance – A directive from the Court requiring the breaching party to fulfill the terms of the contract
- Punitive damages – Penalty for a party’s objectionable behavior, meant to punish the breaching party and discourage other parties from acting in a similar manner
- Rescission – Cancellation of the contract, with both sides excused from further performance and payments made under the contract returned
- Reformation – Change in the terms of the contract when the court believes there was an honest misunderstanding by the parties about what was to be performed
As your legal representative, we can help you strategize a course of action for the best legal outcome.
Affordable alternatives to a civil suit
The cost of traditional litigation can easily exceed the amount of the contract. Fortunately there are various means of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including mediation and arbitration, that can be less costly and sometimes quicker than civil lawsuits, but can deliver the same remedies. We have successfully represented clients in arbitration and mediation hearings, and have settled lawsuits prior to trial, saving our clients expenses and getting their businesses back on track.
Contact a dependable Edina law firm to get your business moving again
If your business has been damaged by someone else’s conduct, you need to take action. Delaying the exercise of your rights could mean losing them. Recovering damages could mean the difference between profitability and insolvency for your company. Contact me online or call Jeffrey A. Olson, PLLC at 952-835-4709 to schedule a consultation.